Camosun Nursing Student Collective
1. Call to order 0730, Monday February 4th, 2019 Fisher Building, Rm 214
2. Roll call/ introduction, check-ins Allison, Nikki, Jade, Kennedy, Natasha, Mark
3. Adopt agenda/ suggest additions
a. BCCNP –N/A
c. BCNU- Sam: nothing much to report
d. CNSA (Conference Update!) –nothing new to update, other than the conference. Money got to CNSA, good standing with the CNSA.
-Natasha: discussed voting during the meetings at the conference.
-all of the summaries of the presentations from the conference are posted on the blog. Topics include: mental health, indigenous intersectionality, history of colonialism in Canada
-there was nurse speed dating: all representations of nurses in the CNSA (5 minutes with each)- posted on CNSC website under news
- key note speakers, rural nursing. Barb- How leadership isn’t all about the position that you hold; Doreen- leadership via storytelling, noble peace prize nominee
- francophone students feel underrepresented, NCLEX isn’t well translated, 20-30% pass rate. Don’t receive study guides in French.
(-CASN- additional accreditation- can work in Canada but not in other countries)
-director of indigenous health advocacy should be indigenous, there was no indigenous students that applied, one women applied but is not indigenous. - indigenous ally position created for this woman, support the indigenous health advocacy
-voted new members into all the board positions
e. Treasurer- Allison: emailed tag and Quinn for check from paint night
5. New business
a. Bake Sales (Lina) – date we picked isn’t going to work, waiting to here back for another date after reading break. Possibly in march- pending.
b. Safe Talk (Nicky) –at the conference, some were talking about a mental health day with a SIM at the end to solidify skills. Pending for March. Jade: - there’s mental health content in 233, maybe do the presentation during that time.
-talk to Carrie about how many people can attend
c. Canadian Blood Services –Allison: set up a date to bring people in for a meeting, next semester to do a section wide blood donation.
- Pending for the last week in March in first floor of fisher
- Mark: bring in tea from silk road to get people talking
d. ESN Position Informative Presentation from PHSA & VIHA for BScN students –Andrea Taylor, no ESN positions posted to VIHA. Should be more of a focus in September.
-BC Women’s hospital on March 6th- open conference. Deadline to register is March 1st.
e. Potential for adding new positions to the collective –potentially adding an indigenous position and a LPN liaison/ representative position
-potential for vice president position open
- Natasha: talk to Dwayne about scheduling, limited amount of rooms to accommodate 40 students
-two weeks from now to start deciding on new building at interurban for September
-support information for PREP- maybe organize a lunch and learn for this semester.
Jade- there was a section not able to do the naloxone training last semester, look into setting up another naloxone training. Possibly a Wednesday at 1730 to accommodate for first years.
6. Concerns/ announcements
7. Next Meeting Monday March 4th, 2019, Fisher Building, Rm 214